Find a Job: Online Search Engines
The big problem when trying to find a job online is that you will search for a job on one or two sites and find only a few available jobs that you are qualified for and would like to apply for. Most jobs are only posted on one or two job search sites. If you are regularly checking only a few sites when trying to find a job online then you are missing most of them. Below are 28 different online job search engines and sites to help you find a job online. You need to customize some of them for your particular city and state but developing a list of at least 20 is an absolute must.
Below is a resource that will help you in finding jobs online by listing some of the different types of job search sites and explaining how to find others and quickly customize your online job search.
Find Jobs Online
- Indeed.com Meta Job Search – Indeed is one of the best ways to find a job online. It is a job MetaSearch which means it searches other job search engines. Customize your search such as with the link I provided by entering one simple keyword such as “web” or “computer” or “marketing” and the zip code near your home. Next narrow down to the most recent jobs by sorting by “date” on the right hand side. You can further narrow down your criteria if you wish but instead I recommend simply browsing the job titles for the last few days. With practice you will quickly learn which types of job titles are of interest.
- Dice.com – Dice specializes in IT or Tech job searches and allows you to find a job by searching with one keyword and a zip code as well. In the same way you can then sort by “Date” and browse the job titles.
- SimplyHired.com – Simply Hired is almost identical to Indeed but often it picks up different jobs. Perform a keyword and zip search and then sort by date.
- Craigs List [web] [general jobs] – Craigs List originally allowed for free posting of jobs. Many cities now charge a fee for job postings though some are still free. Perform a search by fist selecting your city, and then the job category. Jobs are updated by date. For example you could view all general or web jobs in Phoenix, posted today.
- TalentZoo.com Marketing & Media – Talent Zoo specializes in media, marketing, and ad jobs. Search by keyword and zip code. The sort feature appears to be broken so simply browse the date posted section and the job name.
- Career Builder.com - One of the more well known ways to find a job online, Career Builder allows you to search by keyword and zip code, and then in a dropdown on the right hand side select the date such as posted within the last 24 hours.
- Monsterboard.com – Monster is perhaps the most well known job search around. You can try their new Power Search or just used the old fashioned keyword and zip search. It is a little bit confusing to refine your criteria but basically you click on the links on the right hand side such as a posting date of “Yesterday” and click the orange x next to it to delete that criteria before selecting a new one. One benefit of Monster is that you can store different versions of resumes and cover letters.
- Jobbing.com – This is a great example of a local job search engine. Jobbing.com allows you to find jobs in Arizona only. There are many more like this out there for your state.
- Hot Jobs.com - Hot Jobs is owned by Yahoo and works like every other job search out there. There tends to be a lot of spam or junk in the way of your searches.
- Job.com - Job.com allows you to search by city, category, minimum salary, and keyword. They claim to have over 676,000 jobs online.
- PostJobFree.com - This is an example of a free job posting site. There are not as many jobs available to find on this site but you can sometimes find some very unique ones. Proceed with caution. If an employeer is too cheap to pay to post a job they may not pay very well.
- Jobfox.com – Jobfox uses an advanced matching system to present the closest fitting available job opportunities, daily job alerts, and other services. There is an extensive survey process which then rates jobs according to how good of a fit they are based on your qualifications and preferences.
Tech Recruitment, Staffing & Temp Job Sites:
- AZ Tech Finders – AZ Tech Finders is a Technical Staffing company local to Arizona. There are many such staffing companies to be found that specialize in a local area.
- Adecco – Adecco is one of the largest Employee Staffing companies in the world. Perform a job search based on keyword and city, state to find information on these temporary or outsourced positions.
- Par Time Jobs Ten Til 2 – Ten Til 2 is an example of a part time job search engine. They are only in a few cities but there are many other similar sites that specialize in finding jobs for college students and moms that have limited time.
- Spherion Job Search - Spherion is another staffing company that allows you to find a job by selecting a city, category, and keywords.
- Administaff – Adnimistaff specializes in placing administrative staff such as secretaries. Click on “Careers” on the top right to start your search.
- Matrix Resources – Matrix Resources employees individuals on a temporary or contract basis. They are in many cities and tend to offer higher paying technical jobs.
- KForce – Kforce is well known for contract and direct hire opportunities and is located in many states.
- Corp-Corp – Search for Contract Jobs at the Corp Corp site.
Government & Public College Jobs
- Arizona Government Jobs - Find your respective state government and perform a search for a plush government job.
- Federal USA Jobs by zip – Federal jobs are often some of the highest paying and offer the best benefits. They also involve extensive background checks and a long hiring process.
- Phoenix Government Jobs - Pick out some of the largest cities and visit their web site career or jobs section.
- Scottsdale Government Jobs – Pick out some of the largest cities and visit their web site career or jobs section.
- ASU Classifieds – Do not forget to check for jobs targetted specifically towards college students.
- ASU Jobs - And look for employement with large and small universities both public and private.
- Salt River Project – Find the large local telecommunications, utility, etc type companies in your area and regularly visit their web site job or careers section.
- ICrossing SEO Jobs Scottsdale – Do not forget to try local technical, internet, and startup companies.
- Restraunts and Large local retailers are also a best bet.
- Large Utility Companies.
- Large Advertising or Media Marketing Companies.
- Internet Startups.
- Financial Organizations.
Jobs in Canada
- JobBoom.com – JobBoom.com is a Canadian online job search. Select your providence, select industry, or select featured jobs. You can then search by keyword or choose an advanced search.
- WowJobs.ca – WowJobs.ca is another meta online job search engine so you get the benefit of finding jobs from many other online job search sites all local to Canada.
- WorkOpolis.com – Is a popular Canada job search site with over 4 million users a month and bills itself as Canada’s biggest job site.
- Monster.ca – Monster.ca is just like the USA job search engine but localized to Canadians.
- Job Bank – This is one of those overly complicated job searches that makes you specify a ton of criteria. It can be frustrating to use but definately is a focused job search.
- CIPS – Canada’s Association of Information Technology Professionals specializes in IT jobs. You can sort positions by location and closing date.